What's "hopeless" in product engineering?
THIS POST has ongoing contribution
Almost in every discussion around product engineering culture following two or three things come up constantly
- Code without tests or writing test cases is not developer’s responsibility.
- People keep wasting time on PRs (I will write another blog post about “Unbranching software, unleashing productivity”)
- Many people keep asking me how to measure developer productivity.
I said “all this is hopeless”, unless people change fundamental behaviors, and then I thought about
what else is “hopeless” and here is the initial list.
- having code without tests is hopeless
- a pm who doesn’t work stories with research, acceptance criteria, is hopeless
- relying on qa and not on the test automation is hopeless
- thinking qa is quality assurance and not quality automation is hopeless
- treating product manager as project manager, and not giving them autonomy is hopeless
- instituting managers to manage people in product engineering is hopeless
- trying to measure product engineering productivity is hopeless
- work life balance is hopeless
- As startup founders expecting a 9-5 life is hopeless
- not having hands on engineering leader is hopeless
- having CTO and CPO both is hopeless
- treating product and engineering as separate teams is hopeless
- having product engineers who don’t understand data is hopeless
- having data science without data foundation is hopeless
- having a separate team for devops is hopeless (devops is a culture, not a team)
- Using the wrong language to express a problem is hopeless. (Think resources vs people)
- Everyone has agenda, either you fit your colleagues agenda, or they fit your agenda, having no agenda is hopeless :-)
- having a team that doesn’t understand the business is hopeless
- having a team that doesn’t understand the customer is hopeless
- having a team that doesn’t understand the product is hopeless
- calling/treating people as resources is hopeless.
- treating an estimate as anything other than an estimate is hopeless
- having meeting with more than 4 people is hopeless
- having a meeting without an agenda is hopeless
- not treating engineering, product, and design teams as a one team is hopeless
I will keep adding to this list, and I am sure there are many more things that are hopeless, if you have any, please do share with me on X (Twitter)